I am angry, I am sad, I am numb, and at the same time I am excited. Roy was a drummer, a tri-athlete , but more importantly a man of God who showed the greatest faith I have ever seen in a man. He also passed this on to his three sons. I know I will be able to sleep tonight knowing that he and his boys are in paradise right now.
I have two great memories of Roy. One is of him always getting so into the music that he would start singing along, loudly. The only this is, Roy couldn't sing! What I heard though was the authentication of Psalms 150:6 "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!"
My second memory is of Christmas a few years ago. Roy wanted to do a special song, and he asked if we could do "Little Drummer Boy". I remember looking over and not only seeing him, but seeing three drummers playing in perfect sync, giving there all in worship to God.
As a musician I reflected on those lyrics.
Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.
Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?
Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,
Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.
Here is a child who has nothing, and he is seeing these amazing gifts that were offered to Jesus, he wanted to do the same but he nothing to give. What he did have was passion and talent. He played his heart out and gave all of himself to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Roy did that every time he picked up a set of drum sticks. Roy was not Neil Pert or Buddy Rich or Stewart Copeland, or any of the legendary drummers. I do know this though, Roy is in heaven right now playing his heart out for the King of Kings.
Roy we miss you. Your family is in our prayers. Keep the band jammin' up there till we can join you, and Neil, Buddy, and Stewart ain't got nothing on you now!!!

this had me in tears, Dave.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you lost your friend.
He sounds like he was a wonderful man.
all my love
<3